Monday, August 13, 2012

Celtic Wiccan/Irish Teacher- Domi O'Brien Voices on the Path


Celtic Reconstructionist Druid/Irish Teacher
Domi O'Brien


Email: domiobrien@gmail.com

Had my first Goddess experience in 1957, on a hot dry dusty Lughnasadh day in San Antonio, Texas, when I walked into a cool green space which was not there before or after and encountered a woman dressed in greens and greys. It took me a long time to find out she was Airmid. Second Goddess experience two years later at the Roman ruins in Trier, Germany (I was a military brat), Brighidh. (Did not meet the Morrigan until much later).

Lots of reading, lots of ritual ot of books. Graduated from high school in Virginia in 1964; went to college in NH and was given the name of Ciarridhe Harvey in Framingham, MA. and initiated in Daughters of the Triple Goddess in 1964; also had Cornelius R. Lyle as a professor, and Frangcon Jones.

Third Tepheaic Line of DTG. (allegedly Irish witchcraft, not Wicca; my HPS told me I was the 37th priestess to bear my magical name, in an unbroken line of 74 priestesses going back to the Babylonian Captivity, when the first one was brought by the Prophet Jeremiah to Ireland. )If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.)

Three years later initiated in Celtic Wiccan Order (Wicca is of course not Celtic; in 1967 I believed was). Ordained 1968 as clergy.

Cross-initiations etc 60's and 70's numerous trads, while earning my BA and MEd and doing another three years of grad school in Sociology but not getting another degree, and learning some Irish with Nollaig Kilgallen of Fermoy, County Cork, and being involved in the anti-war movement.

Did legal weddings, ran various groups, got involved in left-libertarian politics, worked in administration, social service, teaching, counseling, draft counseling.

Met Isaac Bonewits and became Preceptor for Ar nDraiocht Fein in 1989. Studied Donegal Irish for three years with Deirdre MacFarland in Philadelphia. Moved to Seattle; ran Garran Siorghlas (Evergreen Grove), ADF for 3 years; taught Irish classes and counseling classes; served as Acting Archdruid for 6 months when Isaac was on medical leave of absence.
Moved back to NH with my three homeschooled kids (now 37, 34, 24). Ordained to the 3rd Circle of ADF, Clergy track, Wellspring 1995 along with Fox. Resigned as Preceptor April 1, 2006. My oldest son, Ragnar Arneson ran Garran Slat Glas, ADF 1993-1996 as youngest elected Senior Druid, with me operating as clergy and hostess.

I have run Druidic Association of North America grove Grove of the Golden Leaves 1996 to present (Isaac was an honorary member.) I teach Irish classes for Gaelic League of New England and am a retired state of NH employee. Along the way I was a member of Keltria for a while, and White Oak.

It's hard to choose only three books, but I'd say Celtic Heritage (Rees & Rees), Carmina Gadelica (Alexander), and A Guide to Early Irish Law are things I consider ever-useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment