Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Heathen Priestess Author - Diana L. Paxson Voices on the Path


Voices on the Path-
A Collection of Interviews



Heathen/Priestess/Author
Diana L. Paxson


Facebook; Diana Paxson

First can you briefly tell us about yourself? What is your profession? Any special hobbies?
I make my living as a writer, and have published 29 novels, 5 non-fiction books and a lot of short stories which have pagan spiritual themes, including the Avalon series which I took over from Marion Zimmer Bradley. I am also active as an elder in the Heathen, eclectic pagan and Umbanda traditions. I live in a multi-generational house in Berkeley full of books, cats, and teenagers, and try to find time to paint and practice the harp.

When did you begin your path? What inspired you to walk this journey?
I always wanted to write, and I was god-hungry from an early age. Paganism met that need and gave me something to write about. In the course of writing the Westria novels I discovered what I believed.

Can you tell us a little about your path? How would you describe yourself?

My path is to serve the gods and the community. My primary tradition is Heathen, but I have also practiced Wicca, Goddess Spirituality, Hellenismos and Umbanda, and recently officiated at a Jewish wedding.


Does the path you've chosen affect your profession? If so, how?
My writing and my work as a priestess support each other. Research for the books enriches my practice and vice versa. I have used some material created for my novels in ritual, and adapted some of my rituals for the novels. /Taking up the Runes/ and /Trance-Portation/ are based on classes I have taught for many years, /The Way of the Oracle/ on 20 years of experience performing oracle work, and /Essential Asatr/u on my many years of work with the heathen community.


Is community important to you, or do you prefer to express your beliefs as a solitary?
I believe that information should be shared, and I find it easier to develop my own skills when someone else needs me to be able to use them. My classes have evolved into a thriving community, and I have led or served on the Boards of several pagan organizations. I think that we are much stronger when we work together.


Are you associated with any organizations, volunteer work, or groups that support your spiritual beliefs?
Heathen – Locally, I am gythja of the Hrafnar kindred and community, nationally I am an Elder in the Troth, editor of their journal, /Idunna/, and coordinator of the Clergy Training program.
Eclectic – founder and secretary of the Fellowship of the Spiral Path
Umbanda – Senior medium in the American Magic Umbanda House


Would you say your path has been an easy or difficult journey? Any advice for someone new to this path?
I have been very fortunate in living in the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the most tolerant places on earth, which boasts a large number of wonderful, talented people who taught me a lot and appreciated what I had to offer in return. So for me the journey has been relatively easy. My advice to newcomers would be to seek out fellow-journeyers, whether in person or online.


For those who are interested in Heathen religion (Asatru), I recommend www.thetroth.org
For more information on my books, go to my website: www.diana-paxson.com
Finally, what three books would you say most influenced your path?
The fiction and non-fiction of Dion Fortune
The /Elder Edda/
H.R. Ellis Davidson’s /Gods and Myths of Northern Europe/

No comments:

Post a Comment