Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Pagan of Many Hats-(1) Ariana Lightningstorm Voices on the Path


Voices on the Path-
A Collection of Interviews


A Pagan of Many Hats
Interview 1
Ariana Lightningstorm


First can you briefly tell us about yourself? What is your profession?
Any special hobbies?
I am a woman of "many hats".  I do many different things to keep those
ends meeting.  I am a reader of palms, tarot, handwriting and lip
prints (Lipsology).  More on the Lipsology in my discussion of another
hat.  I also have my band, KIVA, which has currently been around for
over 23 years.  I also do healing work - Rebirthing Breathwork is the
main way I practice as a healer, though I also do energetic healing
and massage (for friends).

When did you begin your path? What inspired you to walk this journey?
My path probably began before my birth since I was born to 2 very
talented musicians who were (at the time of my conception) at the
Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY.  I was always a spiritual
person though my father is an atheist and my mom a Christian.  I
wasn't forced into any particular belief system so I found my way to
my spiritual path by a more internal process.  I was not comfortable
with the Christian modes of worship that I discovered along the way..
they all seemed very frightening and controlling to me.  I found other
folks who were seekers in high school and we formed a group that
explored ideas and spiritual practice.  Later I found some local
pagans and after a couple of groups that I didn't feel comfortable
with I found a group that I could relate to.  That group,
unfortunately, had a charismatic sociopath running it (really) and so
the group fell apart.  The folks involved in that community started a
new community that is still going called Free Spirit Alliance.
Somewhere in that I found my spiritual path of music as magic and the
folks just showed up to participate in the band I named KIVA.


Can you tell us a little about your path? How would you describe yourself?
All of us folks in the band think of music as a way of healing each
other and those listening.  It's a form of magic when we all are just
playing and in the flow of the sound and words and, well, magic that
flows from it's source through us and out to the audience.  The music
we do is what we like to do and always has either a spiritual or
emotional message.  I, myself, was in music since before I was born
but when I found paganism I found a way to express the music and songs
that were inside of me and I started writing songs at the age of 21.
I've been writing music and songs ever since on and off.  I write for
the musicians I have with me.  They also come up with musical "riffs"
and I'll write lyrics and a melody to go with what they are playing.
Sometimes, we work together on a song that has a melody but not all
the lyrics are there or has the lyrics but no melody yet.  It's all
about creation and creativity.  We are all creative.  Creativity is
what makes us like that which created this world and multiverse of
ours.

Does the path you've chosen affect your profession? If so, how?  Sure.
 I am devoted to having the ability to travel and play or just be
available to perform whenever I can so I can't take a job that limits
my vacation or can say that I can't go to that agreed upon event.
So... I work for myself.


Is community important to you, or do you prefer to express you beliefs
as a solitary?  Community is extremely important.  Without an audience
a band is just enjoying each other and doesn't have that amazing
experience of sharing that energy back and forth from the audience,
dancers, etc.   Individually, I'm fairly solitary at this time but I'm
always open to change.  I consider my band, my "coven" or group.


Are you associated with any organizations, volunteer work, or groups
that support your spiritual beliefs? Free Spirit Alliance is a group
that I'm associated with.  KIVA has even been called their "house
band" for the Free Spirit Gathering (in June).


Would you say your path has been an easy or difficult journey? Any
advice for someone new to this path?  I think that my path has been
difficult but also easy.  In other words, I could not have done
anything else because it is what I feel I was born to do.  Therefore,
it was easy.  It was difficult because I have not followed a modern
path of working and retiring.  Now that I'm older, I don't have
retirement or children or other means of support so I hope that I'm
capable of doing what I do so that I have a means of income while I'm
old.  We'll see.  I just "go with the flow" as they say.


Finally, what three books would you say most influenced your path?
Hmmm... for the pagan path Drawing Down the Moon was a huge influence
and I decided that this was what I would call myself (though that
changed) at the time I found my "path".  Other books were Spiral Dance
and Dreaming the Dark.  I was also influenced by a lot of fiction.
One book that was particularly of interest was The Doctor from Lhasa.
Another book that was very influential (the first book I found on
Witchcraft that wasn't actually a book on Witchcraft) was the
Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology.  That book was quite
amazing in it's detailing of what we call the "burning times".  I
found it when looking for information about witchcraft and back when I
was looking there was almost nothing available... imagine that...
nothing to find on witchcraft.  That shows my age a bit... ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment