Monday, July 30, 2012

Taoism - Frederick Hermann Jr Voices on The Path


Voices on the Path-
A Collection of Interviews





Taoism
Frederick Hermann Jr



First can you briefly tell us about yourself? What is your profession? Any special hobbies?
I'm a multimedia designer for a major US defense contractor. I follow a mixture of philosophical and spiritual ideals mostly centered around Taoism.
My 'special' hobby (or I would say favorite hobby) would be that I paint Chinese Shui-mo paintings.

When did you begin your path? What inspired you to walk this journey?
I was born Christian Methodist but abandoned it at a very early age deciding that it felt empty; hence, my search began.

What inspired my path? I guess it would be the desire to find truth and meaning behind existence - that there is some method to all the madness and beauty in our world.

Can you tell us a little about your path? How would you describe yourself?
I dabbled in multiple religions/philosophies while searching for my path; though for a long part of my life I followed (and still follow) Hedonistic philosophies, Asatruar religion, and Agnostic ideals. 
Still, change is the only constant and those paths have begun to merge with Taoism which I discovered through researching the ideals behind Chinese painting a few years ago.
I'm currently learning of the Action and Karma School of Taoism.

I am Taoist about life and Agnostic about the afterlife. 
Nature is a great teacher, look to her lessons and you can find serenity.

Does the path you've chosen affect your profession? If so, how?
It doesn't affect my profession directly, but I have learned to try to let go of the stressful moments and move more with the flow of situations.

Is community important to you, or do you prefer to express you beliefs as a solitary?
Both! I'm a relatively private person, but experiencing other person's perspectives can be a great way of learning.

Are you associated with any organizations, volunteer work, or groups that support your spiritual beliefs?
Currently, no.

Would you say your path has been an easy or difficult journey? Any advice for someone new to this path?
My path is a mixture of what feels right to me, for me; so easy or difficult doesn't really apply.  :)
Advice: 
Follow your heart, listen to your instinct, be tolerant of others, and take nothing at face value.
You are your own person, let no one tell you otherwise or decide your path for you.

Finally, what three books would you say most influenced your path.
Only three? Hmmmm.  :)
The Tao Te Ching and I Ching, Snorri Sturlson's Edda, Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft...

Honorary Mention:
Way of the Shaman, Entering the TaoOvid's Metamorpheses, The Rites of Odin, 777


No comments:

Post a Comment