Saturday, July 28, 2012

Red Tail Arts - Amber Rose Roth Voices on the Path


Voices on the Path-
A Collection of Interviews



Red Tail Arts
Amber Rose Roth


First can you briefly tell us about yourself? What is your profession? Any special hobbies?
I'm just a weird chick that talks to the internet and makes pretty things.  Seriously though?  I work mostly full time in the Frisco Native American Museum down in the Outer Banks of NC helping with the exhibits, signage, running the admissions and gift shop, making traditional crafts, answering questions, occasionally leading groups, and just about anything else they need me to do!  I've recently started the Etsy shop RedTailArts to get some more of my personal artwork out there (painting on feathers, soapstone sculpture, jewelry, ect...) and have been co-hosting the PaganCenteredPodcast for the past 6+ years.  



When did you begin your path? What inspired you to walk this journey?
I think about the time I started actually reading on anything close to my path was about 9th grade learning about Wicca from a friend of mine.  As I was growing up though, I had a lot of strange goings on around me.  Looking back, it seems a natural progression to break from my more traditional raising and go into a faith that had more of an acceptance to metaphysical happenings.  I've always joked that I was never necessarily inspired to walk this journey as much as never given a choice. So where as some of it was curiosity of what it was about, the rest of it was trying to figure out what I was experiencing. 



Can you tell us a little about your path? How would you describe yourself?
Honestly, I think this is one of the hardest questions!  I don't think I really have a name for my path that I walk.  I have a strange mix of Egyptian and Native American (there is some in my heritage) that I generally work with that sometimes I don't quite understand how it works out so well!  Some of the work my path has included is medicine/healing pouches, tarot readings, creating dialog with deities, working with animal totem spirits.  But while those are some of the things I do, it still doesn't explain too much about my path.   I love to learn about how all the different paths intertwine and learning the truth that sits behind each one.  As for how I describe myself?  Hmm...a creative individual that is always looking to expand her knowledge in human nature as well as metaphysics. 



Does the path you've chosen affect your profession? If so, how?
I'm not sure if my profession that affects my path or my path that affects my profession.  Maybe a bit of both when it comes down to it.  With the work in the museum I'm constantly embraced in native culture and spirituality by the artifact that surround me as well as the visitors that have come to us trying to find answers or share experiences.  We also hold a Powwow every year that, while it is a public festival, it has a very high energy level.  So not only do I get to share my path and teach some tradition, but I get to interact with elders of the community.  The RedTailArts that I've started also seems to be just an extension of my path.  While I've always been artistic, what I've been doing is more learning to feel the piece as it wants to be rather than trying to paint "x" object a set number or times.  As wishy washy as it may sound, it has proved to be much more challenging and I've been kind of forced to change my perspectives when looking at creative pieces.  Each piece I create has a little bit of me in it as well, which has also made the process of selling spiritual items an eye-opening experience.  



Is community important to you, or do you prefer to express you beliefs as a solitary?
Yes and no?  The community is important to me in the sense that I think the only way for progress to happen is to have a community has learned to communicate and share their experiences with each other.  I like the learning and teaching dynamic that happens in groups and I believe we need much more of it, with the native as well as the pagan communities.  But when it comes to practice, while I can work well with others...I usually stay out of circles and so my own thing.  



Are you associated with any organizations, volunteer work, or groups that support your spiritual beliefs?
The Pagan Centered Podcast is what I do to volunteer with the community.  We've been hit with the loss of our "fearless leader"  so now the group of us is looking at just how to go about taking over...but my spare time is taken up working with the podcast.  The Frisco Native American Museum is also connected to a wide network of spiritual people.  While I work there, I still find myself volunteering if they need something extra.



Would you say your path has been an easy or difficult journey? Any advice for someone new to this path?
Easy? Far from it, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  It was a struggle to learn in a family with Roman Catholics on one side and Lutheran on the other.  There were some pretty interesting insults and colorful stories flying around at one time.  Not only was there the struggle for acceptance with that crew, but there was the inner conflict of whether I was just imagining my experiences or there was actually something metaphysical going on.  At one time my family even had me with a therapist, which actually turned out to be one hell of a fantastic lady!  That's not even getting into all the interfaith venom that flies around that can make someone who was having a hard time question what's in their spirit.  But at the same time, all of it has made me comfortable in what I'm doing and who I am rather than push me away from the path I've been walking.

It's hard to give advice to someone that is new because each path is different.  Try not to take yourself too seriously.  Expect that you'll take a few "wrong steps" and know that everyone has.  EVERYONE.  If they claim that everything has always magically worked for them they're lying or crazy.  Just because someone (or multiple someones) say something, it doesn't make it accurate; that goes for when they agree with you as well as when they disagree.  And for heaven's sake read up on anything that you're claiming as truth!  Even if you don't agree with what you research...at least prove that you're knowledgeable...especially if you're a bit out in left field compared to the main stream belief.



Finally, what three books would you say most influenced your path?
Tree of Life by Israel Regardie
Animal Speak by Ted Andrews
Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung

No comments:

Post a Comment